View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #27
cas67
cas67 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
my wishlist for the next update:
  1. user-configurable auto-off and auto-sleep timeouts (incl. 15m, 30m, 1h, 2h, 3h, and Never).
  2. sleep mode displays current page, perhaps with some sleep indicator.
  3. power-off displays cover.
  4. much faster power-on. ~45 seconds is way too slow. aim for 10 seconds or less, but 20 would be OK.
  5. display last viewed page or menu while rebooting. would greatly improve perception of boot time, if not the reality.
  6. support for Calibre's series name and index metadata. perhaps other metadata like genre (tags), publication date, summary/blurb etc too.
  7. a "View Series" option for the menu. a 2-level menu. first level lists all of the book series installed (ignoring non-series books). Select a series and the 2nd level shows all books in that series, in order - with currently-reading or last-read highlighted.
  8. ability to set sort by author (rather than title) as the default. i rarely, if ever, want to view by title. i remember books by author first, and title second. and that's how i choose what i want to read too.
  9. a condensed listing mode, fitting more books onto the screen. just one line per book, no cover image, with author/title (and series/number).

alternatively, something like:
    • Author Name
      • Title (Series/#)
      • Title (Series/#)
      • Title
    • Author Name
      • Title
      • Title
  10. ability to read while charging.
  11. battery indicator at bottom of page, along with page number
  12. dunno if it's possible but it would be nice to quickly flip back to the previous page (i frequently push the next page button too early when i'm getting near the bottom of a page, and then have to press prev page to read the last paragraph). i suppose this depends on whether most of the delay is due to rendering the page or e-ink update latency. if the former, then caching the current rendered page (or the last few pages) would help a lot.
  13. a skip to next/prev chapter mode. perhaps by holding the next/prev button for a second or two. i read the same book on both computer screen and on kobo and this would make it easier to catch up on the kobo to where i am on the computer.
  14. bugfix: don't crash/freeze on corrupted epubs. i've noticed a few times that bad epubs (e.g. from a failed calibre auto-convert) will cause the kobo to lock up while "processing new content". the only way to fix that at the moment is to use a paper-clip to reset and then connect to a computer and delete the offending epub. The Kobo should just gracefully skip to the next epub rather than freeze.
  15. display title and author of books (or just the directory/filename) as they are processed....so that if there is a problem with a book, i can easily tell which one it is.
  16. a pony. no, make that a riding dragon.

other wishes:
  1. source release, including all compilation scripts, notes, etc to produce an installable image. grepping for copyright strings shows that some of the software on the Kobo is GPLv3, so that's an obligation not merely an optional favour...at least for the operating system and the FOSS software components.
  2. provide source and documentation and other assistance to help the OpenInkpot people port OI to Kobo.
cas67 is offline   Reply With Quote