View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #13
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
As far as I know you have to authorize your computer and the Reader Library with your ADE password, but you do not need ADE to get books from the library. I lend them through the Reader Library.
In the past I think Sony needed the Adobe ADE DRM libraries. I'm not sure if it still makes you download and install, Adobe ADE first, or just grabs and installs the DLL's itself, but you definitely DO have to go through Adobe authorization.

This is because Adobe manages your master ADE authorization key. This is a good thing because it means that no matter where you get a DRM protected book title, you can be sure that your reader will properly decrypt it. If you buy another e-reader that is not made by Sony, you don't have to worry that the Sony Reader Library might refuse to transfer titles.

Also, if you write down your account login and password from Adobe, you can always go back to them to re-authorize your copy of ADE if your PC crashes.

I don't think Adobe lets other companies issue Adept DRM keys, and to make matters worse, older versions of the Sony Reader Library were screwed up and would try to reauthorize through Adobe independently a second time, which would screw up the DRM so that you could not load previously downloaded DRM titles.

Sony has an updated version that fixes this, and this should be what you get with any newly purchased Sony PRS series e-readers, but I would suggest that if you do want to use the Sony Reader Library, you always get the latest updated installer from the Sony website before installing.

Someone mentioned about the tendency to just click-trough without reading the software license agreement. Well I DID read it, and sorry, I just don't trust Sony to install software on my PC after their famous DVD rootkit case. Not when the license agreement says they can do pretty much ANYTHING they want.

The ONLY reason I bought the PRS-650 is that I was able to see from posts on this forum that you can use the reader WITHOUT loading their Reader Library Spyware, er ... I'm sorry, "Reader Library Software".

Last edited by delphin; 02-11-2011 at 05:06 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote