View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
The same pitfalls face many means of transmitting content. E.g. you can't play vinyl records in a CD player, VHS tapes in a Blu-Ray player, 5 1/4" floppies in a smart card reader, use a Motorola Star-Tac with a 3G network, or use Atari 2600 cartridges in a Wii.
I can, however, loan/sell/give/trade my cartridges with anyone else who has an Atari 2600, etc. DRM, whether ebooks, music, videos, or software, is different-that's not really intended to lock you in to a specific device (although it does it as well as anything, but it's really a side-effect). It's really intended to prevent anyone except you, the original purchaser, from getting any benefit from the purchase. That's much more restrictive than copyright law.

I'm not too worried about being sued for breaking the license though-I'm more worried about the publishers getting together with the RIAA & movie industry to gut the copyright law & strengthen the DMCA. Currently I feel safe stripping the DRM from books I buy-that might violate their license but it doesn't break the law.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote