View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #22
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You might have just not been ready for the book at the time. I understand the same thing happened to Steve Allen when he was faced with reading Moby Dick as a kid for school. Later in life he went back to it and enjoyed it, but for him it was too early when he was supposed to be reading it.
Hmm ... I read Moby Dick for the first time only recently - I wasn't impressed. I wonder if that means I'm still not ready for Treasure Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I have to admit I put down the bible after the first few thou shall nots and the blatant[...]
It was a long time ago that I read it. I no longer remember how long it took me exactly, but it was some months. I don't believe I've ever spent as long on any other book. I remember finding some of the early parts quite interesting reading, but I don't remember actually learning anything from it, or taking anything away from it that I didn't already have. It seems an odd thing to admit that a book with that sort of history and background, and that I studied most diligently over for months, should have had less impact on me that so much else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
An elephant made by committee.....it could work....
Of course it will work, how could it possibly fail.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote