View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #12
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Are you sure the Touch has Mini-PCIe? I haven't looked into it, but it looks like some weird non-standard port.
My Touch is wifi-only and has a relatively large plastic shell where the modem goes. I did not remove that (yet). The wifi shell in the Touch looks the same size and shape as the one in my wifi-only K3. I removed the shell on my K3 wifi, and it had miniPCIe pads (but missing connector) under it. miniPICe has pins dedicated to USB. I compared the K3 wifi (unpopulated) pads to the official miniPCIe layout, and they seemed to match.

Based on that evidence, I think that there *should* be some USB pads under the similar shell on the Touch. And least it is worth further investigation...

EDIT: From all 50 photos shown in the zdnet article linked above, I cannot find any that show the underside of the circuit board where the 3G modem connector would attach. Without more information, we do not know what kind of connector that the 3G modem in the Touch uses. Hopefully it has some USB pads or pins. Of course, in a wifi-only kindle you may need to add or remove some zero-ohm (or other value) resistors nearby the pads. It may be necessary to compare the wifi-only to a 3G version of the Touch.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-27-2011 at 05:28 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote