View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
My experiences with my iLiad book edition:
- It requires some work to install and configure 3rd party software. I haven't really gotten around to do that yet, as I've 'made do' with PDFs and they suit me fine. My book files are in a large variety of formats anyway.

- The mobi support is not very good as HarryT states.

- The PDF support is very good and it can handle large files.

- The screen is larger, but really not that much larger. It's perfect for me, who found the 6" of the CyBook on the small side, but almost only reads fiction. For tech books and the like, I think it's too small. See attached photos of an Apress book; full page, page zoomed to page width, zoomed and turned to horisontal view (sorry about the image quality). Also, the screen update is to slow for flipping through, looking for something.

- I don't see battery life as a problem. I don't use the stylus much, and in the periods where read a couple hours every day, I usually need to re-charge every 3rd or 4th day. I would not consider battery life a deal breaker.

- I had a CyBook before, and it's definitely nicer to hold because it's slim and light. (The BeBok seems to be about the same size).

I don't think the iLiad is that much better than the BeBook. I do like the larger screen, also for fiction reading, but in my opinion it's not large enough for 'professional' PDF's, tech books and such, that it's really worth it if you plan to use it for that. You're welcome to send me a few typical PDF pages, if you would like to see a photo of how they may look.

The BeBook looks like it support a wide range of formats, but I have no idea how well they are supported. With the iLiad you have the option of installing 3rd party software, but you should consider how much work you are prepared to put into it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	full_page.JPG
Views:	796
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	17165   Click image for larger version

Name:	zoom_pagewidth.JPG
Views:	783
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	17166   Click image for larger version

Name:	zoom_pagewidth_horisontal.JPG
Views:	732