View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I am not saying Kobo would abuse its abilities and gather data about books that Kobo has not sold to me for data mining purposes, but I don't like it that they can do so.
And we get back to the complaint by some that their sideloaded books do not sync across multiple devices, that annotations and current reading position do not sync, etc.

Quote:
And the update is installed whether I want it to be or not.
But it's an improvement... even when it isn't.

Quote:
Then there is the case of several readers registered to one account. Do I want a 10 year old for example, having access to all my content, does my 15 year old think I might be spying on his reading habits, would Kobo put my preschoolers books on the other readers too?
How is Kobo to tell which device is used by which person if you use the same account for each one? One solution was to generate separate accounts for for your children. With no credit card tied to the account, it also keeps you from worrying about their purchasing books without a parent around.

Quote:
And what advantage does this syncing provide for me. Will it sync across all my devices as I believe Amazon does? Even if it did, I still do not want it to without an explicit request.
You can always turn off WiFi on your Kobo and never use the desktop application, use Calibre or just copying files to manage your library, purchase all books from Kobo or other bookstores as epubs to be sideloaded and not have that worry about synchronization. It is an explicit request in a way since on your ereader you have to hit sync or use the desktop application to synchronize your books and information.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 04-26-2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Typos
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote