View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #8
wakawakawaka
wakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beauty

Another update so I have it written and can be shared.
Got vncviewer running with a virtual display from Windows 7 x64. This allows me to have a window not visible on my standard monitors appear on the Kindle - I'm using it to view code references while I work, would be great for datasheets, etc.

Install vncviewer on your kindle, test that it works. The write-up in the kvncviewer thread is sufficient for this.

Install the ZoneOS ZoneScreen virtual display driver for Windows 7 x64: http://www.zoneos.com/zonescreen.htm#downloads

Don't install it yet, windows 7 and esp. x64 (it seems) is really sincere about driver signing. I tried a couple things but the one that worked for me was option 3, the Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider found here: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/loading-u...ta-64-bit-x64/

Run that, I rebooted afterward.

Then run the installer for ZoneScreen - if all goes well you should have a new video device without the dreaded yellow ! sign in device manager.

Reboot.

Somewhere along the line here make sure you don't have Aero running - the "Basic" colorscheme seems to handle this.

Run ZoneScreen, Options->Custom Resolution
I made a 824x1200x8 mode, that's portrait on the DXG, not sure if color actually matters yet
then, File->Attach

Your screen will probably flickr, and if you've got the screen resolution settings dialog open you may notice your windows shift. I don't know what does this, and/or how to fix it. I moved my second display back to where it was.

Now the tricky bit. Since the new display is there, but Win7 won't show it in that settings dialog, you need to download the command line tool monarr.exe from here: http://www.zoneos.com/zonescreen.htm#notes

Then set the mode on your virtual display (monarr.exe --listvirtual will show you your display #), monarr.exe --setmode \\.\DISPLAY1 824 1200 8
Then move it where you want it - for me that's to the right of my primary 1440 panel
monarr.exe --move \\.\DISPLAY1 1440 0

So far so good. Now for VNC. The VNCServer Vasily modified for use with the ZoneScreen driver for me was incompatible with kindlevncviewer - still not 100% why, but presume it's doing some strange things.

In order to use say, TightVNC server and only export the virtual display, you need to go to the Extra Ports tab in configuration, add a port for your area of real estate, for me this line ended up being:
5901:824x1200+1440+0
very familiar given what I did with monarr above...

AND YOU ROLLIN
wakawakawaka is offline   Reply With Quote