View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #100
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
Seems like the only party that will be able to police the issue is OverDrive. Presumably they will have to review libraries' registration and lending policies, and maybe even lending statistics. And pass judgement. What about library consortia for electronic materials, like the (fantastic!) one here in British Columbia, or Alaska's? What about libraries that mutually extend lending privileges to people who live in other libraries' jurisdictions? What about libraries that allow registration "with no fixed address," so that homeless people can check out materials? Again, B.C. libraries also have these programs.

Who else but OverDrive will be able to do this, and how could they possibly avoid it?
Well, it sounds like it would be a lot of work for them with no real profit. I don't see how they would like it. I'm sure they would rather let the libraries manage their own policies.

Due to my residence in a suburban county, I qualify for library cards for all the library systems of the other suburban counties, plus the city's. I only have cards for two systems (one a consortium for my state, the other the city's), although with some minimal effort I could get cards to 2 other "local" library systems that have a decent ebook collection. This is pretty standard for large metro areas and makes me wonder how specific they are thinking with their geographic registration and lending policies.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote