View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Any workaround to register Nook outside US?

I think this topic should be separated from the other similar one.

I'm in Bangkok, Thailand. I can place my order for Nook by using "alwaysvpn" service to trick B&N that my IP is from US, and use Vpostasia to ship from their dummy US address to me.

So far I'm very happy with Nook. The only function which I cannot fully utilize is the registration and buying ebooks from B&N via my Nook.

I believe that there should be some workaround on this. I'm not computer networking expert; but I strongly believe that the above problem could be solved without a very complex solution.

My idea is something like this, I have not tried yet:

Objective: at least use my home wifi to register my Nook and subsequent ebook purchase from B&N

My current equipment: a notebook with buitin wifi connected to my home wifi adsl/router (SMC).

Here is my humble plan:

1. buy another cheap USB wifi and plug it to my notebook
2. set up the new wifi by making my notebook as a wifi router (or set as Infrastructure mode)
3. connect my Nook, via wifi, to my notebook wifi direct (instead of from the central wifi router)
4. on my notebook, I activate alwaysvpn
5. my Nook should now be able to be registered and I can start buying ebooks.

I'm not sure my approach is technically feasible or not. I need those in the forum to help. If it is possible, I may need some details about the setup steps. My PC is running Winxp SP3.

The other question is: supposed the above solution does allow me to register my Nook successfully. Do I still need to do the same setup above to make my ebooks order? or I can simply connect my Nook to the central wifi router at home (or outside wifi hotspot) as usual, and buy books right away.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote