View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Button Behavior for the new highlight toggle next to the search bar

I see the new 'Search Highlighting' button that was added as part of the duplicate detection discussion. However I was only able to figure out how to use it by accident. This is because nothing happens when you toggle it on and off. In order for it to do something you need to actually run a new search.

I can understand if there is no search in the search box already that there's nothing to be done, but for the case where a user is already looking at the results of a search it makes more sense to me to actually change the display.

I only figured it all out by accident because I'd toggled the button a few times, watched it do nothing, scratched my head and forgot about it, leaving it enabled by accident. Then I later did a search and unexpectedly found all search results highlighted instead of the expected default filtering behavior. I realized that the button was the cause of the problem because of the discussion of the feature, but when I clicked the button again nothing happened. It wasn't until I re-ran my search that I got the expected default behavior back.

Note I was only able to figure this out because I was reading the duplicate discussion thread and had an idea of what the new button was about and what it was supposed to do. Up until writing this post I hadn't even read the tooltip (which doesn't mention the search needs to be re-run). It just seems that for a novice user this button might be very confusing the way it works now, but if it automatically re-ran the search to switch the modes back and forth visibly it would become more intuitive.

Edit: It also only seems to work for certain types of searches, which makes it more confusing. ISBN:True works, but keyword/title searches don't. I think this may actually be a bug, as the list of returned results returns everything/nothing when highlighting is enabled, but nothing is highlighted.

Last edited by ldolse; 04-17-2011 at 01:13 AM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote