View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by review View Post
I'm sorry but from your statement I get the impression that you haven't followed the whole story. Excuse me if my judgement was too swift but I can tell you that there are about a million things which are easier than porting software to a platform were there is

1) no official SDK
2) no documentation
3) no source code
4) no root permission

When trying to port anything you will run a million times against a brick wall because as a good developer you know the solution (e.g. chmod +w /dev/dsp ) but alas you don't have root access or something else from the list above is lacking.

I don't mean to offend you but I have tried to port a good number of programs and make improvements to the pocketbook and I have seen many frustrations, which were not limited by my knowledge as a developer.

So I can assure you:

With the above mentioned set of boundary conditions it is extremely painful to port anything.

However, you're very welcome to proof me wrong.
Maybe, you could port Xournal.

(Just kidding, I'm sure the above four points were new to you)
well, given I have been employed as a developer for nearly four decades I might have some insight. It is amazing how any of us ever ported apps between OS's in decades gone by without any of the above stuff. Roll your own if there is no SDK. Are you a programmer or a mouse?
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote