View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 12:13 PM   #177
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Plenty of people do routinely do that kind of thing. Is it really any different to paying $10 to go and see a movie that you may or may not enjoy, or going to a restaurant for a meal that you may or may not like?

$10 is, in this country, less than half the cost of a cheap take-away pizza. I get far more enjoyment from an eBook than a do from a pizza, but I regard both forms of entertainment as equally "ephemeral".
When I go to a restaurant I have a menu which I study for 10 minutes before I order anything and usually I am not too daring in my choices

One of the reasons why I don't go to movies is precisely what you have said: go and see a movie that you may or may not enjoy. I am not prepared to throw away £6 or more nowdays? no idea for a bad movie. I do buy DVDs for £5-6 of the movies I like. And sometimes even a bit more expensive, such as LotR 3 DVDs extended edition set for £33.

If I were behaving the way you describe, my small salary would be gone way too quickly and I would never take loans. It is not my way of life. So, I have to live accordingly to standards I have set for myself. It includes buying books of good quality that I might read in 10 years time - hardback editions, or in the case of ebooks - books without DRM or with DRM that I can remove. I would definitely not spend $10 for a book that I cannot re-read in 5 years time.

I know, HarryT, you have mentioned it before that you don't see buying a book as a life time investment. I respect it. It is your way of life However, you shopuld accept that there are many people who look differently on this matter
For example: as I said somewhere else, I am visiting a couple of fantasy related forums. You would not believe how many people over there re-read the same books over and over again.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote