View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #61
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by chedva View Post
Well, if you want a detective in the locked room, there's always Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe. And for an author who always plays fair, you can't beat Ellery Queen (limiting this to the books in which Ellery is the sleuth; I'm not crazy about Queen's stories with others doing the detecting).
Finally! I was reading this thread and wondering why there was no Ellery-love.

I tend to take a run through the series about every ten years, once I've forgotten all the solutions. As a study of character evolution, I don't think it can be beaten. Good play-fair mysteries, too.

Another love of mine, although little known, is Sara Woods's Antony Maitland books. Maitland is a British barrister who takes on 'hopeless' cases, and does the investigating himself. Very likeable, colorful characters and good mysteries.

I have an autographed EQ book - it's the prize of my library.
khalleron is online now   Reply With Quote