View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #595
tacitus
tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tacitus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thank you very much for your help DiapDealer and pdurrant. I'm now getting my formatting and the links to my TOC from the Goto menu. Thanks also for the development and maintenance of the unpack tools. They've come in very handy.

I still get the feeling that I'm just close to getting the direct Calibre conversion working too -- the converter sees that I have the TOC (there is a message that shows it's going through the right code path), but doesn't generate the necessary metadata to enable the Goto links.

Other quirks have also appeared -- the starting point of the book has changed to after the front matter instead of being the title page (I think I know how to fix that), and all my transparent gifs now have a black background on Kindle devices. I believe that's something to do with the native resolution of the images -- which should be fixable -- but it only shows up when I put the Calibre created mobi through the unpack/kindlegen/unpack process.

(Edit: Well, that was not true -- I forgot I made the GIF background transparent while I was testing on my tablet. That works fine, but I had since learned that transparent GIFs are not well supported on eInk Kindle devices. I got them to work, but they look nasty.)

I knew the book creation process was quirky, but I didn't quite appreciate just how quirky it is when you're dealing with the confluence of quirks involving Word, Calibre, KindleGen, and the Kindle devices!

Last edited by tacitus; 10-08-2013 at 11:36 PM.
tacitus is offline   Reply With Quote