Thread: PRS-600 PRS-600 tips and tricks
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
This is a wonderful thread in the making! Great idea Max - perhaps you might want to "own" the thread and edit the first post every so often to put everybody's tips in. I just got my PRS600 yesterday, and this is exactly the kind of information I was after.

My biggest discovery is that collections can be a poor man's folder support. Of course it isn't as good, but it does allow us to have, if you like, as many one deep directories as we choose. Using Calibre (I'd suggest Calibre as the best management software) all you need to do is add the group as a series name, and convert the book and it will add it to the ebook, and when put on the Reader it will add it to that category. So if you do have 3 books in a trilogy then adding them all with that on it will keep them under that collection. If instead you want to collect all of a particular author together, then just create a series e.g. "Philip K. Dick Books" and although they aren't a series, they'll appear in a collection together on the Reader... poor mans folders.

What seems to be a really important thing as well, I noticed in another thread (in case that thread vanishes) is the touchscreen can cease to function if a crumb gets underneath the edge.

Something I picked up myself (I'm sure I won't be the first!) is that the device will not charge unless it does a USB handshake. In other words those handy little wall plugs that have a USB port on them don't seem to work for me, I have to plug it into a PC - or use a proper wall charger. I would like it if someone could confirm that for me. I have a mobile phone that does the same thing, and the only workaround is to use a USB cable that just has power on it, no data, no idea if that'd work on the reader.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote