View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #29
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
I kind of gave up on cookbooks for my NOOK. I thought of getting some, sampled many, and found that many publishers are having serious conversion problems.

Nothing new with ebooks, right?

But in plain text, when the OCR renders "and" as "ancl," context will get me through.

When they've failed to properly proof or imbed a font (typeface?) it can be a major fail in a cookbook. Far too many recipes have the dreaded questionmarky/unknown character symbol for fractional measurements other than ½ and ¼.

It basically is the difference between annoying and useless.

I get that it's probably more trouble than it's worth to go through and copyedit those nicely set fractions into 1/8, 3/8, etc. But then why bother at all?

I've pointed this out to every single publisher of the books in question. To no avail.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote