View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
Could you give us a description of your methodology and tools you used? Did you use InDesign or a text editor? Or both? Thanks.
Sure thing! I'm also planning to post some EPUB/ADE/CSS-for-books things I've learned in producing this when I have enough time to put together something coherent. (I've had this sitting around for quite some time and only posted now because I finished a casual final read-through.)

Tools: This is 100% hand-crafted markup and CSS, written in Emacs in nXML mode. I initially created the SVG cover in Inkscape but then re-did most of it by hand to work around shortcomings in the Adobe DE SVG renderer. I used a few Python scripts to help with things like "educating" the punctuation, generating the markup for the faux small-caps (ADE doesn't support CSS "font-variant"), and splitting the HTML into per-chapter files. I previewed the text primarily in Firefox, verified tricky bits look perfect in ADE & comprehensible in FBReader, and did a complete final read-through on the Reader.

Methodology: I'm not a trained designer, so I kind of bumbled through it, with some help from http://webtypography.net/ and a minimalist aesthetic. I identified the elements needing detailed formatting (headings, verse, letters, etc), developed designs for them I thought fit well together, and implemented them directly in markup with styling which degrades cleanly when CSS isn't supported. Production work-flow was to filter the source plain-text through Python scripts which normalized punctuation and spacing and wrapped all text in basic markup, then apply specific markup with various Emacs automation features, and finally hand-apply/-tune markup for areas where the source-text was inconsistent.

Fonts: Bonus section! and me realizing that I should probably release an updated version which includes license terms for the fonts I embedded. The cover page uses TeX Gyre Adventor, an open source OpenType version of URW Gothic L (itself a version Avant Garde Gothic). The body text is in Adobe Caslon, which is not free in any sense -- alas, but no free font does it for me for the text of a book-length work.

HTH!

Last edited by llasram; 08-26-2008 at 04:08 PM.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote