View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aren Tyr View Post
Hi

I realise that iRex are currently rewriting the mobipocket viewer from scratch, but in the meantime, is there no way to change the default font for the mobipocket viewer? I struggle to understand why they released the viewer with just one font, or at the very least, why they chose to go with a Sans Serif font as default since I'm sure the overwhelming majority of us much prefer to read books in a Serif font. It would have been nice if they could have released a micro update just for this issue to tide us all over till the new software release comes out.

I noticed someone had put up a font switcher (and suggestions the Serif font wasn't very good), but all I want to do is change the default font from the current "Arial" style font to "Times", for example. That's it.

Surely it can't be that hard?
Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is switch between the included Sans Serif font and the Serif one. It's not a problem with the Mobipocket viewer, it's a problem with the Java JVM that the viewer is running on top of. iRex used the "Tao-Group" JVM on the iLiad to run the Mobipocket viewer, and that JVM does not supply a way to install/register additional fonts. If I remember correctly, the company that makes the JVM is out of business so there aren't going to be any updates for it.

Hopefully iRex's new framework will get rid of that problem.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote