View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
New to ebook editing. Need help with cover images please.

I've just very recently started getting into ebooks. I wasn't sure what to think of them at first but I've really started enjoying the hobby and find myself reading far more than I have in at least twenty years!

I've found a lot of ebooks that others have created that I have been working to clean up. Maybe the formatting wasn't quite right, there is no table of contents or the cover image was of poor quality or non-existent.

It's the covers that bring me to this forum with a question.

I've noticed that there is a flag for epub formatted books that force images to maintain their original aspect ratio. lit, mobi and other formats don't seem to have this and their images, covers especially are stretched to fit the size of the screen I happen to be reading on and, frankly, it looks awful.

Is there something I'm missing that could help me with this?

Currently, I use Sigil to perform any editing I need to do. If the original file isn't an epub, I use Calibre to convert it to epub, fix of the ebook with Sigil, then back to Calbre to convert to whatever format I happen to need, typically mobi for use on my Kindle 3. I know it sounds cumbersome but it seems to work for me for now. I'm open to other's opinions on better ways to cleanup and edit or any advice and tips some of the more experienced users might have to offer.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Sincerely,
- Byron Followell
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote