Old 03-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast
Xqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G
OP Here,

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
FYI: this is exactly what our fbterm port to Kindle, which is coming soon, will be doing.
Differences/benefits are:
  • scalable fonts with no odd character width limitation
  • Unicode support
  • comes along with rich input method
  • can coexist with launchpad
Interesting. If you want any help, please contact me. you can find my email on xkid.biz (Or if youd like to let me play with what you already have )

btw, good work with launchpad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
If 'install' means compile, copy & run, then yes, you can.
mplayer, fbreader and others are just linux apps compiled for Kindle.

The user interface is the problem.
Kindle doesn't have an X server so you cannot normally run GUI apps (it is only possible to compile apps utilizing Qt somehow, e.g. fbreader). TUI apps don't need an X server but they need a visible terminal controlled by Kindle keyboard. And that's what fbterm could provide.

Actually, you can run X11 on the kindle. i have it running on my kindle currently. Patches can be found in the old savory repo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
Neat. there are a couple od terminal apps which might be good. What flavour linux does the kindle use? Can I use debs or something easy like that?
The kindle isnt running any "flavour" of linux, if youd like a simple apt-get like your used to look at the howto on installing debian. Although its not recommended for newbies. I may write an easier tutorial sometime soon.
Xqtftqx is offline   Reply With Quote