View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
I just tried opening this on my computer to see what would happen.

When trying to open it with Acrobat, it just bounces me over to the Digital Editions webpage.

When I try to open it with ADE, I get an "Authorizing Content" dialog box, but the progress bar doesn't go anywhere. It eventually just times out.

Opening it in Preview just shows that there are 811 pages (but all show up as blank), and it indicates that there is no encryption (which is obviously wrong).

Digging through the file with the 'strings' command shows that it's encrypted with EBX version 0.9 (which was supported by an older version of Acrobat). A quick web search shows that EBX was an encryption standard set up by the Electronic Book Exchange Working Group, but they don't seem to exist any longer. In its own way, this makes sense. Acrobat and ADE recognize the encryption system, but hang when trying to connect to an authentication server.

In short, it looks like you're out of luck--stuck in that nowhere when the authentication servers go offline. I suppose you could try getting in touch with Adobe to see if they can do anything (highly doubtful, though).
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote