Thread: Glo Case for Glo
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
It might be helpful for people to see a few more cases with an actual Glo in them, with pointers as to upsides and downsides, so...

This one is from here, on Amazon UK. It's only £3.99, so I thought what the hell. The Glo slides in from the top, with a tuck-in flap to secure it...

Once in, it is VERY snug - no way it's going to come out.

It has full access to the usb port on the bottom, but no access to the sd card slot.

The outside cover overlaps the edges of the Glo by quite a way, and seems very tough and stiff, so I'm fairly confident that it will protect quite well against a fall, even on a corner. The dimensions seem a very good fit generally, ALMOST as if it really is designed for the Glo - except the tuck-in flap occludes the light button and part of the power switch - see next pic:

I'm probably going to keep this one as my main case anyway, for various reasons: I can always cut some of this flap away if I want access to the top button/switch, I really like the stand...

As well as being free-standing, the front cover will flip right around to the back for reading normally. Also, I'm planning to magnetise it to the gills, and it looks like it will lend itself to this quite well...

In this pic above you can see my temporary (selotaped) on/off magnet, which works perfectly (and doesn't switch the Glo off again when the front cover is flipped around flat to the back, as the hinge-section at the bottom means that the magnet is either too low or too high to trigger the switch).

I'm also planning to put magnets at the top of the front cover and the "sleeve", to keep the cover closed (instead of the elastic band, which I'll cut off), and again on the back cover so that when the front cover is flipped around it will snap (hopefully) to the back.

Because the cover looks like it is lined over the entire inside, I'm hoping it will be possible to cut the lining with a scalpel and slide the magnets I bought (slim but strong, from ebay here) inside the actual cover, with a dab of glue to secure and re-seal.

Will report back as to how this goes, but if you would prefer a more "book-style" cover...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobocoverssmall01.jpg
Views:	1747
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	96544   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobocoverssmall03.jpg
Views:	1698
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	96545   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobocoverssmall04.jpg
Views:	1656
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	96546   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobocoverssmall06.jpg
Views:	1662
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	96547   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobocoverssmall07.jpg
Views:	1675
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	96548  

Last edited by markino; 11-20-2012 at 02:20 PM.
markino is offline   Reply With Quote