View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #22
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

It is not as easy as it looks for the new K8 versions. The damn SRCS record is no longer at or near the end of the .mobi and is in fact typically before the entire k8 mobi. So if we remove it from before the K8 part, you would really want to make sure that removing a section does not mess up any section references inside the K8 mobi part of the file.

Right now I think the K8 Mobi header references sections relative to the BOUNDARY record and I think all of the images and fonts come before the SRCS section.

If that is so, you may simply be able to copy the file section by section up to the SRCS section, omit it, and then update the starting table for all sections that come after it.

Kindlestrip now tries to look at the end to find the SRCS record so we would have to change that to walking though the sections 1 by 1 but it may work.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It appears this won't work anymore for the new output generated by kindlegen v2.3.
I've been poking around with it (comparing code from the latest mobi_unpack), but I'm slow as molasses—plus I'm not really grasping exactly how to stitch the mobi back together minus the source section (but I can find the source section ).

Also, I was wondering if anyone else thinks it makes sense to have an option to strip (and save to a separate file) the old-mobi portion from the new mobi-KF8 hybrid? I still use kindlegen for my own personal use and won't always want the extra bulk of the additional KF8 data (especially when transferring to a device that can't make use of it).
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote