View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I am keeping to shorter works this month, as I am still battling my way through the Andes, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I've finished Conquest of the Incas and it is certainly one of the finest--perhaps the finest--large-scale Historical study I have ever read. It has a remarkable precision of detail, depth of analysis, and epic scope that make it difficult to put down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
My undergraduate degree was in history, but I don't think I have ever read a more impressive work in that discipline than this one.
Bumping this thread because of paola's post in the July nominations thread. I didn't finish it until early May myself. It was the longest 500-page book I've ever read; not that it was difficult, as Hemming's clear exposition presented no problems, but it was what I can only describe as dense. A slow read and deep immersion. I'm glad that others thought it was worth the effort. I never would have gotten to it if it were not the club selection and I'm deeply grateful. A world-expander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Somehow this reminds me of the great historical work of Montaillou by Le Roy Ladurie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Le_Roy_Ladurie
I think this is an inspired comparison. Montaillou is one of my favorite books and yes, it provided a very similar experience of glazed inattention to the world around me, as I lived in southern France in the fourteenth century. For anyone who hasn't read it and is intrigued, I promise it's a far faster read than Incas!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote