View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
When I use the cursor, I can read as you say in the lower right part the name of the entity. The calibre editor identifies this way by their own names the no-break space (displayed by a yellow square in code view) and the narrow no-break space (displayed by a plain blank in code view).

However, the editor does not seem to change the nbsp; to #160. After saving the calibre correction, I opened again the EPUB file in sigil and I still had all my 1077 nbsp; like before.

I think there is a need to publish somewhere a kind of transposition table to explain clearly what changes will be (or should be) performed by the calibre editor and on which entities.
As I said in my previous post, calibre does not change named entities to numbered entities. It changes both to their unicode equivalent, either when you type the entity, or when you run Beautify/Fix HTML on the containing file. Additionally, Check Book will warn you of named entities (but not numbered ones) and offer to fix them.

In short, he following changes are performed:
named entities --> unicode --- when typed in, or fix/beautify files, or in Check Book
numbered entities --> unicode --- when typed in, or fix/beautify files

Exceptions are < > which will never be changed since that would mess up html.

° ' (and possibly more) appear to not change when typed in, but even those get replaced with Fix HTML.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote