View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #72
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Most buyers had no idea that the authors were getting paid substantially less than authors signed up with other publishers; the authors didn't notice for a long time, because a fairly prolific Harlequin author could make a decent living, and they knew that most authors couldn't.
It would disagree with the statement that the authors were getting paid substantial less than with other publishers. There's maybe less pay-out per book sold, but due to it's marketing, reputation and subscription based sales Harlequin sold (and sells) relatively large volumes. I know one Harlequin author, and she netted between 15 and 20 k$ per book -- writing two books a year for Harlequin which took about 6 weeks each including the editing stages.

Over 30 k$ for three months of work doesn't sound like a miserable salary to me, and I think that apart from the top 2% or 3% most (aspiring) authors would go for it.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote