View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #56
mornington
Connoisseur
mornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-650
Looking at the collections.json after I manually (i.e. using the kindle's UI) put the rogue files into collections, I'm seeing some weird "ASIN" values.

To take an example, the file with the lpath:

documents\Douglas Adams\HHGTTG 01 the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy (H0tHHGttG-DAHGttGT1).mobi

Gets an ASIN (via the usual formula, and te one used in the script) of:

*ffccd1edd94d20b512450535de6a42e0181d7df3

Now, that file doesn't show up as being in a collection on the kindle's UI. However, that asin is in all the right places in the collections.json file (and Calibre thinks it's in those collections). If I then, using the kindle, put that "rogue" file into a collection and have a look at the collections.json, I see this "asin" id being used for that file:

#B000XUBC2C^EBOK

The asin from the script (*ffccd1edd94d20b512450535de6a42e0181d7df3) is still there in the collections.json but is being ignored by the kindle.

Any idea how/why the kindle is deriving this new value? It's not because of any clash of asin ids (I checked - no other files share the same asin), it's not coming from amazon.com (I have wireless switched off) and the form isn't a one-off one, as I got similar results for other "rogue" files (eg #B000R4LGMA^EBOK and #B000JMKTE6^EBOK - all of the form "#B00[XXXXXXX]^EBOK", where "[XXXXXXX]" is a sequence of 7 characters, each of which is numeric or upper-case alphabetic).

It must be being derived from the mobi files consistently in some fashion, though, and not involving timestamping (if I remove the mobi and re-send it to the kindle I get the same "rogue" id generated).

Just some food for thought: And if anybody can figure this bit out then the script can be made more reliable.
mornington is offline   Reply With Quote