View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #313
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
The last 2 pages (at least, I just read them) had a good discussion.
Some even though I disagree with, I gave Karma to for the insights I gained.
Others I agreed with more and also gave Karma.

I also made some comments which I will try to summarize in more detail here.

I work with people. I have had the chance to observe many more. I read about them constantly in the news. There are no guarantees as to their behavior as individuals. You can however guarantee tendencies, trends, and finally after enough experience both your own and others even percentages of kinds of behavior.

I will relate 3 instances concerning one of my wife's businesses.
I was in one of her shops waiting while she attended to something. I was observing the behavior of people buying Christmas gifts. I saw 2 young teens, who were aware of me standing there looking around, being furtive, and then one slipped something up his sleeve. I lectured them, and sent them out the store. (Again, this was while I was watching.)

My wife told me that a little old lady who came into the shop all the time and was a very nice person seemingly came to her with a gift to purchase. The label was messed up and the price on it seemed too low. My wife checked the item and the real price was twice as high. She told the lady. The little old lady said, "That is just too high. I could never pay that." My wife was very distressed that a "nice little lady" would do that.

Another time 3 well dressed women came into the store. One claimed to have a problem and asked to use the employee's restroom. (There is no public restroom.) She went to the back of the store and it was noticed that the one of the other women at the front answered her phone and it was noticed that the woman in the back was standing by a counter on her own phone.
Later it was found that the woman that went to the back had found a pocket book with only a little cash, but with a checkbook. She had removed 3 checks from the middle of the checkbook and put everything back. Later she cashed a forged check using her own identity. Turns out the cops were looking for these people already.

What came of these events?
First some video cameras were placed around the store. (Actually just fake.)
Second we got even better more sticky labels, the kind everyone hates.
Third The rule about "no public bathroom" was enforced even more rigorously.

Will that stop "stock shrinkage"? No. Will it reduce it? Hopefully it will. Everyone isn't a thief, but a lot of people have excuses that allow them to take advantage of a slit in the fence. Some people. you will not be able to stop for a part of their life revolves around getting stuff for free, circumventing the systems. They take a lot of pride in their work.

That is why most publishers use DRM, and most if not all significant authors agree to it.

The publishers and authors can't stop pirating or DRM removing, but we can do our best and DRM is a part of that.

I have suggested some improved systems where there is an ability to transfer books from one reader system to another. The Publishers would have to allow it and someone would have to develop the method and a master registry. It is a good idea, but I don't know if it will ever come about.

So anyway, I am essentially saying that "my gut feeling" is that DRM is good for me, an author, and though I might listen to your thoughts and complaints, I am only going to recommend better and more sticky and harder to remove price tags and labels.