View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #37
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiri View Post
I think tompe is talking about files created with high compression not being able to be 'unpacked' or otherwise manipulated by his Mobiperl scripts. Since a lot of people (I am one) like to manipulate the metadata after we download a file, any file for distribution should be created using normal compression.
The meta data is not compressed so that is not a problem. What you loose is possibility to "explode" the file and fix something in the HTML code and then regenerate the mobi file.

But my objection is more philosophocal or ideological. I think it is bad of companies to use secret formats but i assume they feel they have to do it. But there is no reason to use a secret format for a file you distribute publicly. That is like just distributing binaries for programs and not distribute the source code which I also do not like.

But I assume if there is a future demand to unpack these files somebody will figure out the compression algorithm.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote