View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I'm not aware of static being any kind of factor with e-ink screens at all, and the plastic screen is already matted to reduce glare and so accordingly I feel that using anything stronger than clean water as a cleaning solution is overkill and money down the drain.

As for a cloth, again the screen is plastic so you don't want to use anything made of plastic to wipe it down unless it's a specialized cloth. Lens cloths are indeed specialized, but made for glass...so I avoid. I'd deem a quality microfibre cloth a good choice for a dusting down, but avoid Swiffer cloths, J-cloths, even regular paper towel as you just don't know exactly what's in there anymore. My cloth of choice though is anything made of soft cotton. I got a good result on the weekend by using a dampened Q-tip to clean the corners and edges, and actually went ahead and swabbed the whole screen...I used the other end of the swab to dry off and the corner of my t-shirt as a finisher. The screen looked like new.
And obviously you wouldn't want to swab too hard as there's a plastic stick just beneath the surface of every Q-tip.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote