View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
If it actually is this brightness-differential between screen and environments that causes eyestrain it should not matter whether an offending display is front- or back-lit.
It shouldn't, except the light that comes out of an LCD display has been polarized so most has the same polarity. Polarized light by itself can cause eyestrain:
http://sunglasses.lifetips.com/cat/6...ses/index.html

Quote:
When light is reflected off a smooth surface like a flat road or water, it becomes polarized horizontally. The polarized light can cause eyestrain and fatigue.
With frontlights, the lightguide diffuses the LED light which then reflects off the eink screen. The light coming out of the screen may or not be polarized. (I haven't seen anything stating either.) So there may in fact be a difference in polarization. (Easy to test: somebody with polarized glasses and a Nook Glow or KPW out there?)

Normally, polarized lenses are a *great* thing; I use them outdoors myself.
But I'm not sensitive to LCD eyestrain.
Others, however?

It is like CRT refresh-rate and fluorescent-light eyestrain; some people are more sensitive than others. And some people are more sensitive to polarized light eyestrain.

Nothing is ever as simple as it appears at "first glance".
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote