View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I am terrible at remembering movies. I can remember seeing this movie in the theater - where, when, even with who, but nothing about the plot. I'm sure I watched it on video many times back then too! So I was looking forward to reading the book, and I really enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
I also got this edition from the library. I got so bored reading the overly long introductions I haven't even started the book. Add me to the short list of those who had never heard of the book or seen the movie and don't plan to ever do so.
I borrowed the 30th anniversary edition from the library as well. I didn't read it in order from Page 1 to 284. I skipped the introductions. I started with the beginning of the story. Then I read Buttercup's Baby. Finally, I read the 25th anniversary intro followed by the 30th anniversary intro. I think I enjoyed it better reading it in that order. I started with the intro until I realized it had spoilers. Also, it is difficult to appreciate the content of the intros without reading the story first and enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I really enjoyed the humourous style that Goldman employs. Very much up my street. The story itself was fun and engaging, and I am looking forward to seeing the movie, if it is indeed better than the book.

I was a little confused over the inclusion of Buttercup Baby (in this edition, at least). Whilst I understand that it forms almost an epilogue function for the Princess Bride, it also raises more questions, and leaves more things hanging, than did Bride. For example - do Fezzik and the baby survive the fall from the cliffs? No small matter. I just wished he had taken it further and wrapped up some of the loose ends.
The intro of the 30th anniversary edition helps with this loose end. I enjoyed the writing style too. I initially wasn't sure why this book was nominated as a humor selection.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote