View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I'm going without hiding under spoiler as well, so be warned...

I finished the book today, and now I want to se the movie - again (I think I've seen it twice before, quite some time ago)
I enjoyed both the book and the movie a lot, but I think I actually enjoyed the movie more.
I don't quite "get" Stevens, and I need to "process" him a bit more in my head before really discussing him.

Earlier in this thread Hamlet 53 wrote
Quote:
I really wonder whether it was Stevens single minded pursuit of attaining the status “great butler” that left him so emotionally isolated from other human beings, or whether it was just a natural flaw in his character.
And BenG replied
Quote:
Or perhaps his obsession with his career was to compensate for his emotional isolation.
I agree with Ben here.

I'm not sure what to think of his emotions though, since he hardly admits to having any. No happiness, no anger, nothing... Stiff upper lip, show nothing...

Miss Kenton, now she's something completely different! There is a passage about a third into the book that I really love when she gets p****d of with Stevens that had me laughing out loud.

The passage starts with :
Quote:
Unfortunately, Mr Stevens, I am extremely busy now and I am finding I have barely a single moment to spare. If only I had as much spare time as you evidently do, then I would happily reciprocate by wandering about this house reminding you of tasks you have perfectly well in hand
It tells us Miss Kenton has both guts and integrity. I love her!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote