View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJay View Post
All am looking to do is read ebooks. I don't want to play music, watch videos, or surf the net. The great majority of my ebooks will come from Project Gutenburg and Manybooks or similar sites. I don't mind loading the ebooks to the device from my computer so usb connection is fine for me. I would rather not have to do many file conversions if possible. The price of the 1150 is a huge selling point for me but I could go up some if it is really worth it.
Hi CJay

I have both the JBL and EBW readers and I can recommend the jetBook Lite over the ebookwise for these reasons: superior screen, compatibility with more formats, ease of use, more font size choices, uses SD cards rather than SmartMedia. The ebookwise has one "pro" going for it -- the backlit screen allows you to read in the dark with no other lighting source. A major negative for me is the gigantic transformer box in the power supply cable; too bulky to travel with! Love the regular AA batteries that the JBL uses.

Today's prices are $89 for EBW at their own website, and $119 for JBL at newegg, and in my opinion the price difference is worth it to get the jetBook Lite. For another inexpensive source of ebooks, see my post here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...188#post705188

RTF, TXT and HTML ebooks look just fine on the jetBook, but I find the PDF text is too small for my poor old eyes and dislike zooming and scrolling to read them - but Calibre is very easy to use for conversions. Or, use something like CutePDF to export the PDF to TXT.

Edit: Shipping cost of $9.95 on the EBW reduces the price difference; JBL has free shipping at newegg!

Last edited by ngrant; 12-21-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Additional comment
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote