View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I guess where I was headed with this was, if, in say 25 years, eBooks represent the majority of books sales and hardcovers and paperbacks are the minority, is that going to force prices of eBooks into the realm of where the $25 hardcover is now? Implying at least a 6 month wait for any sort of price break?
Again, IMO it's rather difficult to predict something like this -- there are just too many possible factors. Agency pricing may not work or might take off, today's publishers could be replaced by different entities fulfilling similar roles, retailers could be replaced, taxes altered (e.g. the US could add VAT), and so forth. And don't forget inflation. Even with low inflation, the cost of an item roughly doubles every 20 years.

So unfortunately, I don't think anyone is "in the know" enough to predict this. What you'll get is a variety of opinions and predictions; anyone who gets it right will be as much by chance and coincidence as by knowledge.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote