View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
but I do think it should do it somewhere other than the Documents folder.

The raison d'etre for the Documents folder seems to have been forgotten, it was created by MS in Win 95 as the place where the user is encouraged to put files that they will access via Windows Explorer, by double clicking a file to Open it - or right clicking it to 'Edit', 'Print', 'Convert' etc.

Which is precisely what Calibre wants to discourage its users from doing
I don't think the primary purpose of the Documents folder ever had anything to do with folks being encouraged to access the documents via Windows explorer. Windows explorer is an equal access file fingering encourager, regardless of the files location.

From day one the documents folder was a place to save your documents created using Microsoft office products. A one stop shop for your Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, etc... documents.

For many years I supported users of Microsoft OS computers and rarely did they realize that their documents from Word, Excel etc... were saved in the Documents folder. The closest they came was using the Recent Documents to reopen items. There have been multiple times that I received a call from folks who complained that we deleted their documents when we upgraded their Microsoft Office product. What they were really saying was the history on their application went away and they have no idea the file is stored or can be found elsewhere on their computer.

What the Documents folder did do was place a one stop place for applications to store your documents, pictures, music etc... This made it easier for support and easier for Backup programs to effectively locate the more important items that a user cares about. Thus the Documents folder, by default, is backed up by every consumer backup program on the market.

The big thing that throw folks for a loop isn't where calibre puts the books, but the fact that it does insist on keeping its own copy of the book. If I understood you correctly in your other program examples it allowed you to put your music or pictures anywhere.

This was just a long winded way of saying that I disagree. The application data area is for configuration, cache etc... but not for libraries. I think the default library should be in the Documents folder so the folks who are smart enough to try and back their info up will by default be backing up their calibre library.

Good Reading.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote