View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #36
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Yes, I agree with you in all this. It is actually very difficult to hold out against a group of people who all want to do something that one individual doesn't want to do, or disagrees with. We are programmed to comply with the group.

I once had the very unpleasant experience of being on a jury in a rape case, where the man's defence was that it was consensual sex. When the jury was being selected, the defence barrister challenged out all the people who would have experience of "reading" people, body language etc - Personnel people, a nurse, teachers - but missed me (also Personnel) as I was already retired at the time. It meant I was the only one of the 12 who could read body language for instance and I knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that she was telling the truth and he was lying. But for the others, because there wasn't "proof" such as his telling someone he had raped her, it was not proved. I stood out against them and tried to explain why. After a couple of days, which included anger, bullying and general unpleasantness, the judge accepted what was called a majority verdict of 11 to 1 and the guy got off.

It would have been so much easier to go along with the rest of them and get it over with but I just couldn't do that.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote