View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 02:02 AM   #22
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtt View Post
Not to discount your tech skills but is that honestly difficult to navigate using the Pocketbook 360? The previous posters seemed quite fond of it but I see the Opus was mentioned twice as well.

It's fine that there's no absolute best but what do you guys think the best starting one would be then?
Well, if I needed "tech skills" to navigate the thing, it would be really bad I didn't say I had problems with the navigation (except the no back button thing, which I admit it pretty bad).

I have to admit that my reasons for disliking the pocketbook are not all rational: I was forced to abandon my Cybook, which I loved, because it was malfunctioning, and I didn't choose the Pocketbook (I won it in a contest here at MR). So I started with a bias against the pocketbook. Silly, I know

One thing I can tell you (and it's another reason for my dislike): don't try to read mobipocket books with the Pocketbook. The program it's using is awful. It takes a very long time to open the books, displays chapter headers in the same font as the rest of the text without even a few empty lines to signal the start of a new chapter, and even drops a character once in a while (every 4-5 pages). It just skips a character for no apparent reason (I made comparisons with other readers, and the character that was missing on the Pocketbook was there), so for example "hello" becomes "hell".

If you want a more positive opinion from me (with all the proper disclaimers of course): I think the Opus is the best if you read in trains, buses or crowded situations where you must hold the reader in one hand and have a good hold on it. If you mostly read at home, I would prefer the Cybook for its larger screen and sleeker design.

Both of these do one thing, and one thing only: read books. That's all I need. I don't take notes, I don't want wifi or a program to put the books on my reader, I can do that myself very easily by copying them from the computer. The search function on the PB is nice, but I don't really miss it.

Another thing is the design. They look good also. The PB is a little too "cute" for my taste, though it doesn't look bad.

The Cybook and Opus are for readers. The Pocketbook is more geek-oriented: you can install programs on it, tinker with it in ways I never bothered to explore, and I understand the firmware updates are more frequent. There was a lot of discussion on the lack of firmware update for the Cybook. Personally I'd rather have a product that works the first time, than a constantly evolving firmware, and the trouble and risk of installing new versions.

OK. You want advice? Here's my advice: look me in the eye and listen carefully.

Buy a Cybook. Buy a Cybook. Buy a Cybook.

Last edited by FlorenceArt; 04-12-2010 at 02:01 PM.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote