View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
AJ, so with this method, how easy is it to navigate through your Bible? I've been looking for an NIV to purchase for my Pocket Pro (whenever I actually get it *lol*), but from what I've read online it's pretty difficult to navigate. I'm looking for something that would be easy to find books and chapters in a church setting. With this method, how easy or difficult is it to find any given book and chapter? Does it go quickly, or is it rather time consuming? I've thought about trying to put something together myself, but haven't the foggiest idea where to start. But if it wouldn't work to quickly get to a book and chapter, I won't even bother trying. We have an older version of Word Perfect, do you need a newer version for what you're doing? If I tried this I don't think I'd link to individual verses, just chapters. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too difficult to just turn pages and find the verses I need. Does that make sense? Thanks!
I too, wanted an easy Bible on my PP. I have done several things. First, though I know you asked for NIV, I found a King James Complete Bible on Gutenberg. See link here.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/10

If you will go down the page, use the Epub (experimental) format. Gutenberg has provided an Epub download for just about every book I have searchd for. Anyway, I downloaded the Epub, and put it on my internal memory of my PP and it is GREAT (excepting the fact that is is KIV not one of the better versions.) The TOC is great, the response is great and it will satisfy for a "traditional" version on your PP.

As far as my translating my NLT version. That was a software progam I had purschased years and years ago which provided each Book in a pdf format. I was editing to make them fit on my PP, but once Astak came out with the 9 levels of zoom, I no longer needed to reedit them. The only problem with pdf's is that when you zoom you lose indentations and centering. Anyway, I put all of the books, in the NLT pdf, on my internal memory.

I also put the handbook which was also part of the software, though it has non-reflowable charts which are hard to read. But the maps are good to have reference.

Also in Gutenberg, I found five of Josephus books. They also had an Epub download and they work great.

I haven't found a NIV yet, maybe someday Gutenberg will have it, or maybe it will be available for purchase. If you find something like that please post here.

As I just wanted my Bible as a reference, these were good enough for me, along with the dictionary and thesarus I found from various sources.

As far as using your Wordperfect, I wouldn't suggest trying the project unless you are an experience word processor. And then it would take many many hour upon hours to do. I haven't even finished Matthew (I tend to get sidetracked easily)

If the multi level TOC's are done right, it goes fast. The KIV that I referenced is very easy and fast. The First level is the Books, after you select a book, then the Chapters of that book are listed. Then just choose a Chapter and it goes to the Chapter heading.

Sorry if this response is a bit disjointed, it's late and I haven't worked with the Bible/TOC since I posted orginally.

Good Luck,
AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote