View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #114
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I agree that choices are good, but you need government regulations in order to maintain choices. Do you think that companies would have warranties on electronics if they didn't have to?
I would also add that there are people who do not have as many choices as others have.
For instance, elderly people. They're "adults": so is it their own fault if they are liable to make a wrong choice in the absence of regulations that force companies to explain clearly what that choice entails? Should these people avoid the internet at all, just because it came into being when their mind was no more flexible enough to accommodate a radically new way to do things?
Or: what about people who are simply not educated enough to recognize fishy, deliberately obfuscated Terms and Conditions when they read them? Is it their fault if their parents couldn't afford better education for them, of simply were morons and decided not to use money for that?
Most of the times, privacy issues related to computers require at least a basic understanding of how computers, software and internet services work. Not everyone has a grasp on this issues.

Choices, I am afraid, are often available only to strong people (in the widest sense of the word). The weak, the poor, the damaged are frequently deprived of choice, until regulations are set up to restore the balance.
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote