View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #67
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Oh the irony! Someone with a Kindle saying you'll regret your purchase.

Do you really think you won't be forced to buy your books again in the near future, like the poor suckers who bought DRM'd books from Amazon before the Kindle? Justify your extra expense over the Sony however you like but don't expect us to agree. No comparison? Thanks, you gave me a belly-laugh today.
That's not really true. I can still read the books I bought from the Sony store on my sony reader, and I will continue to do so. It sucks that Sony has DRM so that I can't bring those books over to the Kindle. And it sucks that the Kindle has to have DRM too. Maybe if the world was perfect and no one pirated E-books, then we wouldn't need these things. And maybe the market will change as it seems to be with music and DRM will go away. But two factors make me not really worry all that much about DRM.

1) I really really want authors to get paid for their work, so I don't mind paying for their labor. They deserve it and I want to encourage great writers to continue to write and not change professions (to more profitable occupations) The hours of enjoyment I get from books easily makes it worth it to me, even if god-forbid I have to occasionally repurchase a novel or two because of dreaded DRM.

2) I spent so much time on #1 I just forgot #2. Oh well.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote