View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #27
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
A 5" phone is too big. A WiFi version should be marketed for around $300.
I don't think, a WiFi only version would make much sense.
Streak obviously is targeting the "mobility" market.
On the road, 3G totally makes sense.
To me, WiFi only would have been a showstopper.

And I don't think, they could get close to the $ 300 mark.
Of course, as a phone with respective contract this probably wouldn't be a problem.
But as an unlocked, standalone unit, it probably has way too many features for such price point.
If I consider it a "smaller iPad", € 600 may be a bit overpriced. But $ 300 would be way too low. And of course, iPad/Apple does have additional revenue stream via apps, movies, TV shows, ... whereas Streak links to the Android repository...
What's the price for an unlocked iPhone4? I've heard, it's $ 900? If so, the € 600 of Streak are no problem at all.
Personally, I don't mind the price (actually, I'd happily pay a premium for quality products instead of permanently seeing cheaper products with no use for me because of the low quality). But I don't see the niche for Streak yet. And I even don't see any smartphone being able to compete with Apple's winning combination with iTunes. Apple easily could reduce prices for their units, given the billions of additional revenues. Android of course does have a similar concept. For Google it definitely is a rapidly growing business. But it's not of much use (revenue) for the hardware manufacturers like Dell.

BTW: Does Dell get a revenue share from Google for any apps, purchased in the Android store? I guess not, I'm not sure whether the Android store actually even tracks the manufacturer or just the Android version...

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-21-2010 at 11:36 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote