View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
@HarryT: Well, no, I read. Since you wrote "Kindle", I thought you was referring to the "normal" Kindle, not both "normal" one and Paperwhite. So do you confirm Wikipedia is wrong (it states that both Paperwhite wifi and 3g have no USB port)?

@twowheels: Thank you for reporting kindlegen. Anyway if the quality is almost the same I prefer something that honours open standards ;-)
Perhaps you're misunderstanding what's on Wikipedia. There are two different "types" of USB:

1. A USB host, which allows you to plug other things into it - memory stick, keyboard, mouse, etc. A PC is a USB host, as are some Android tablets.

2. A USB client, which is something that you plug in to a USB host.

All Kindles (in fact all eInk readers that I'm personally aware of) are USB clients, but not USB hosts.

When comparing the Kindle and the Kobo, one factor you really should consider is the stability of the device. The Kindle is rock solid, with very few bugs. If you look at the Kobo forum here at MR you'll see that there's widespread dissatisfaction with the Kobo. The firmware is reportedly very buggy, and new bugs are introduced with each new firmware update. I've no personal experience of this, but that's what many Kobo owners reports.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote