View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
You know, I hate to say anything, especially since I've historically fussed so hard about it all. I've given up on drop caps. Too many places they just don't work out, like:

Chapter One
"Me?"
"Yes. You."

Chapter Two
I..I couldn't go on. Maybe another word or two. Note quite enough to sometimes make a second line before another paragraph.
That you are indenting everywhere else.
That you are indenting everywhere else.

Chapter Three
Aaah, the way it should be, with an initial paragraph that goes on long enough to wrap and look nice until another paragraph comes in somewhere down the road. This is what it works best on and is why we worked it all out to start with: we've seen enough great examples in print to make us want to do it here...

I know, my examples suck here, because they don't actually drop (you'll have to imagine them dropping). But unless I'm willing to be inconsistent, or snip out double or single quotes at the beginning, or live with how funny second paragraphs sometimes butt up against them when I can't quite control where things fall, I just keep running into too many situations where they just don't work, and I would have to justify yet another compromise. When they work, they are impressive. When they don't, they impressively don't.
Or, maybe rookie here just can't figure out how to make all possible textual situational variants work without scripting.
-b
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote