View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
I would name my PRS Medusa, if I were into that. Maybe, keeping with the 'pod' meme, Architeuthis
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Now, I call my Iliad "George", because, well, he looks like a George. (...) I don't talk to him (I'm not an idiot - I have dogs to speak to).

Anyway, since the whole thing is simply a book, or multiple books, or anyway potentially a big change in how we see a "book" in future, I was thinking a name like "Book II", but just calling the device a "booktoo".

(--snip--)

So, whatever it ends up being called (since "ebook reader device" is about as elegant as a drunken giraffe on roller skates trying to look at the back of its own head), I'm all for it not starting with "i-" (...), nor ending in "pod" (as pods are sticky and aliens come out of them, which can't possibly be good, and besides I'm sure manufacturers won't mention the dangers of pods in the Troubleshooting Guide or will have a clause in their EULA absolving themselves from all responsibility for alien takeover).

So, bring on the naming. Perhaps something in Sumerian would be nice.
best thread ever...

back on topic, i vote for Architeuthis ; i like the idea of literature deploying metaphoric tentacles and wrapping them around us as we read and are taken into the story. Medusa seems apt as well, for the fascination that reading can exercise on us and turn us apparently to stone (there is a verb in french, "méduser", of obvious etymology, which means to stupefy or petrify, it is a good way to describe what a good book can do to us), however the monstrous connotations of its origin may be dangerous... we don't want to frighten the novices after all. i also like the litteral exactitude of booktoo...

i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who thinks pods are potentially evil and treacherous.

perhaps something in sumerian *would* be nice ; plus, as a bonus, cuneiform = instant logo built right in.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote