Thread: Glo Glo Battery Problems
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I started doing some tests last night.

Firstly, I'm not likely to be leaving my Glo alone for days. But, if the problem is with certain books, there should be a noticeable drain when it is left overnight. Hopefully, whatever is causing the power drain is running all the time and isn't being triggered after a very long sleep.

The first was to take the nicely formatted book I was reading and merge the html files to make much bigger ones. The book has 34 chapters all less than 100KB in size. I merged them to make three large files of 342KB, 296KB and 739KB respectively. The epub is 481KB in size. I put this on my Glo, went back to the spot I was reading and left it there overnight. When I went to bed, the battery was at 75%. When I checked before leaving for work this morning, it was still at 75%. That was about 7 hours sleep (for the Glo, not me). The code in the book is very clean and the formatting is very simple.

While I waited for the train, I played with the Glo to select another book. While doing this, the battery dropped to 71%. I selected "A Thousand Miles Up the Nile" which comes from the MR library. This is about 4.0MB in size and has lots of pictures. I paged through until I was on a page that had a picture and let the Glo go to sleep while I was on the train (trying to sleep myself). That is about 5.5 hours and the battery level is still at 71%. I have only touched the Glo since then a couple of times to check the battery level. I'll leave it like that until I go home and see what happens. But, looking at the code in the book, it is clean (but done in a way that Joel won't like).

What I need to try now is a dirty book. One with horrible filthy code in it that would hurt my eyes to look at. The problem is that when I see those, I clean them up before reading them. I'll have to see if I have any of the original versions that might be suitable. If anyone has a book that would be suitable and can share or point to it, please tell me. Send me a PM if you think that would be the better way.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote