View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
My question is this: If Amazon raises its price so that it is just barely less than the price your indie bookstore or B&N charges, will you continue to support Amazon at the expense of possibly losing the indie/B&N? At what point, if any point, are you willing to support competition?
My answer is simple: at no point am I willing to inconvenience myself (or spend more money) to "support" competition. I'm the consumer; that's not my job. It's up to the competing businesses to entice me to be a patron. If they (the business) need to rely on assistance from their customers--in the form of being willing to spend even slightly more money than they have to (for no added service), or going out of their way a little more than they might have to--then they're already out of business... they just haven't accepted it yet.

The only exemption to my own philosophy would be if I personally knew the proprietor of a business. But even in that instance, my altruism only goes so far: meaning I'm only willing to help ... not perform CPR on a dying business model at the expense of my own financial common-sense.

Bottom line is this: I feel no loyalty|sympathy|obligation to businesses (or industries). Especially those businesses who were free to make the same decisions--to recognize the same future business potential--that Amazon did long ago. I'm not going to reward anyone for getting beat at their own game.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-06-2013 at 07:56 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote