View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Amazon drops Canadian e-reader prices

Got an e-mail from Amazon.ca today advertising new lower prices (not sale prices) for the basic Kindle (now at $79) and Kindle Paperwhite Wi-fi (now at $129). The price for a 3G Paperwhite remains unchanged at $199.

It seems plain to me that these price drops are meant to compete with Kobo in Canada. The Paperwhite now costs the same as a Kobo Glo. (Kindle with Offers has never been available here, so the Paperwhite was previously $10 more expensive.

It's the lower end basic Kindle that I find interesting. It's now $20 cheaper then a Kobo Touch. The two devices are very similar. They have identical internal storage and displays. Is a $20 premium for a touch screen and SD Card slot worth it? (I leave aside stuff like Amazon ecosystem lock-in.)

The basic Kindle meanwhile is still $20 more expensive then the low-end Kobo Mini, which seems to now be permanently at $59 at Chapters-Indigo. The Kindle is 6", and has a better contrast E-Ink Pearl screen. The Mini, meanwhile, has a touch screen and actually has a better DPI due to its 800x600 screen being squeezed into the 5" form factor. Both readers have the same amount of non-expandable storage.

It's interesting to me. Kobo & Kindle are the only two competitors in the Canadian market, so seeing how the competition evolves is neat.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote