View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Smile Python + PyGTK for Kindle Touch and Paperwhite

Hi,

I couldn't find already packaged PyGTK for Kindle, so I decided to do it on my own. And I've just got PyGTK running on my Paperwhite.

I've used latest Debian sid armel packages. There is GTK+ provided (and few others) despite of Kindle having its own version - I was too lazy to recompile everything to fix missing symbols issues.

All symlinks and hard links in package are dereferenced, which means that it can be safely unpacked on /mnt/us, but it also means that there are copies instead of links and they take more space.

Download: http://dosowisko.net/kindle/python.tar.gz

Usage:

Unpack python.tar.gz package in /mnt/us/extensions (or if you're in USB disk mode - in /extensions). If you really want to, you can place it somewhere else, but you'll need to tweak paths in pythonenv file.

You can setup environment with ". pythonenv" command. After that you can just call "python", or run python files just like any other executable. There are test files bundled - type "python demos/gtk-test.py" to run one.

(please note that windows have to have proper X11 class names in order to be correctly displayed by Awesome - refer to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hp?t=162022#10 for more info)

It probably won't work on any other Kindle than Paperwhite, but you can still try (update: thanks to twobob we now know that it works on Touch too )

Cheers

Last edited by dos1; 10-27-2012 at 05:07 PM.
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote